New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » What Happens Next?

What Happens Next?

Printer-friendly version

Temporary or Emergency Protective Orders

First, a copy of your temporary protective order will be sent to the Department of Safety by computer. The State Police must make the protective order available to your local police department and sheriff.

The local police must promptly serve your abuser with a copy of the temporary or emergency protective order. There is no charge for this service. These orders are in effect anywhere in New Hampshire and should be enforceable in other states too.

Hearing on Your Domestic Violence Petition:  The Final Hearing

A full, final hearing will be held on your domestic violence petition within 30 days of when you file it or within 10 days of the date the petition is served on your abuser, whichever is later. You will receive a hearing date with the paperwork included with your temporary order. However, the abuser may also ask for an earlier hearing within 3 to 5 business days of when he or she makes the request, which you must attend. The court will send you notice of the date, time and place of the new hearing date.  In any case, you must attend the final hearing in order to have the temporary protective orders made final.

You have the right to bring a lawyer to represent you at the hearing. It is a good idea to talk to a lawyer if you think custody or child support will be disputed, or if you have been severely injured or expect an injury you received to last a long time.

If you cannot afford a lawyer, you should contact a domestic violence crisis center in your area that may be able to refer you to a free lawyer through the Domestic Violence Emergency (DOVE) Project of the New Hampshire Bar Association. You can find out which domestic violence program is nearest to you by calling 1-866-644-3574 for domestic violence and stalking, or 1-800-277-5570 for sexual assault


If English is your second language or you don’t speak any English, you have a right to request an interpreter to assist you with the police and in any court proceedings. Make sure to let the police and/or the court know that you need an interpreter to help you.

March 16, 2017

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.