New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Self-Help Guides » Taxes » Catch Up on Filing Taxes

Catch Up on Filing Taxes

Printer-friendly version

Haven't filed taxes in years? Did you not claim refunds in the past? Here's how to catch up.

Millions of Dollars in Tax Refunds from 2012 - 2014 waiting to be claimed.

How to Claim your old refunds:

•IRS accepts non-filed or amended tax filings back three years.

•If you have an unclaimed refund from 1-3 years ago, you have until April 15th to claim it.

•You can find previous years' tax forms and instructions to claim old refunds on the IRS website, or call 800-829-3676.

•If you are missing a tax form (W-2, 1098, 1099, 5498, etc) request replacements from your employer or other payer. Or, file Form 4506-T with the IRS for a transcript of prior filings.

•File the non-filed or amended return at a free filing VITA or AARP TaxAide site or online through the IRS' Free File software.

Tips from the IRS on how to claim old refunds, and get caught up on filing taxes up to 3 years back.

April 2015
Legal Advice & Referral Center

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.