New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance

Moving Into a Park

Printer-friendly version

A park owner cannot charge a tenant an "entrance fee" just for moving into a manufactured housing park. A new tenant may have to pay for services such as water and electricity hookup, if necessary and actually provided by the park owner. For these services, a park owner cannot charge more than the equivalent of three months’ rent. In addition, a park owner cannot charge more than one month’s rent for a security deposit or damage deposit.

In most cases, it is against the law for a park owner to make tenants buy their manufactured housing from the park owner or some other particular person. If you own a manufactured home, a park which has a space available must let you move in if you meet the park rules and standards for admission.

Two exceptions to this law are: (1) the park is new, or (2) the owner has created a new lot. In either case, the park owner can require someone moving into the park to buy a manufactured home from him or her.

October 2014
Legal Advice & Referral Center

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.