New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Self-Help Guides » Housing / Foreclosure / Eviction » Homelessness Help, Housing Search and Security Deposit Resources

Homelessness Help, Housing Search and Security Deposit Resources

Printer-friendly version


If you have no place to stay tonight, you can call 2-1-1 and ask for homeless outreach or check this list of in-state and out-of-state shelters.

If you are a veteran facing homelessness, please go to the US Department of Veterans' Affairs site for Homeless Veterans, or call 603-624-4366 x6883.

Homeless school-aged children and youth have the right to remain in school. They may be entitled to free transportation as well. This is true whether or not they are living with a parent or guardian. Contact your school district and ask for the “McKinney - Vento liaison” and see the resources located at the New Hampshire Department of Educations's site for Homeless Children and Youth.


There is housing search information and possible financial assistance at the New Hampshire Housing website, or call them at 1-800-439-7247.  If you are already on a waiting list with NHH, read what you can do while you wait for help.

Check your town or city’s web page to see if there is any housing search assistance available. Go to If you see a document entitled “Toolkit,” it may have useful information, so look at that. Some Town or City Welfare Officers have landlord lists and other resources available, even if you are not seeking financial help from them.

Other places to try:

  1. New Hampshire Housing Go to the housing search web page.

    See a list of vacant units that are rented at market rate and a list of vacant subsidized units. These include complexes that have unit-based subsidies and that have short or no waiting lists. If you need an accessible unit, you can cross-check on the Directory of Assisted Housing.At the bottom of the page is a list of Assisted Housing. These are rental properties that offer income restrictions or rent subsidies for low-income families and seniors.

  1. Servicelink  Call 1 (866) 634-9412 for information on housing and medical benefits and see Servicelink’s website for a list of links to housing resources.
  1. 211 Call 211 for help.Dial 211 or 866-444-4211 TTY Number: 603-634-3388 See lists of various types of housing for rent.
  1. Supportive Services for Veteran Families (SSVF) If you are a veteran or if a household member is a veteran, call 603-882-3616 or visit this website.
  1. Harbor Homes, Inc. Harbor Homes serves the entire state of New Hampshire. Harbor Homes helps veterans. Call 603-882-3616 or visit this website.
  1. Boulder Point – Veteran Housing in Plymouth NHIt offers twenty-five one-bedroom apartments to veterans experiencing homelessness and served by WRJ HUD-VASH as well as five affordable (unsubsidized) two-bedroom apartments. Go to the Harbor Homes web page to learn more and to apply.
  1. Southwestern Community Services  See the housing list.

    Call 603-352-7512 in Cheshire County.

    Call 603-542-9528 in Sullivan County.

  1. US Department of Veterans’ Affairs See programs and resources for homes veterans.

    Call 877-424-3838

  1. DHHS Bureau of Elderly and Adult Services (BEAS): website

    Contact information

    Homeless & Housing Services (603) 271-9196

    Call to be assigned a caseworker to help any adult over 60 get housing.

  1. Stewart Property Management website 


    Provides affordable housing throughout New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine and Massachusetts. Has below market rentals for the elderly and disabled.

    Click on “immediate availability/short wait” for a list of open units with affordable fixed rates and rent based on income.

  1. VASH Program for Veterans website

    Manchester VA: 603-624-4366 X6883 VASH Program Manager

    This collaborative program between HUD and VA combines HUD housing vouchers with VA supportive services to help Veterans who are homeless and their families find and sustain permanent housing.

  1. Isaiah 58 New Hampshire website 


    Their mission is to end homelessness in western Rockingham County, NH.

  1. Ahead Inc. Affordable Housing, Education, and Development (Northern NH)  website 

    603-444-1377 or 800-974-1377

    AHEAD creates pathways to safe, affordable housing which strengthens and revitalizes rural communities.

  1. Catch Neighborhood Housing (Concord area) website


    CATCH Neighborhood Housing strengthens our communities by creating opportunities for affordable, quality housing for people otherwise not being served.

  1. NeighborWorks Greater Manchester website 


    NeighborWorks® Southern New Hampshire enhances people's lives and the community environment by providing access to quality housing services, revitalizing neighborhoods and supporting opportunities for personal empowerment.

  1. Tyler Blain Homeless Shelter  website

    (603) 788-2344

    Serving Coos, Carroll and Grafton Counties. Help for people who are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless.

    56 Prospect Street Lancaster, NH 03584

    Homeless intervention services:

    • Carroll County: (603) 323-7400 x110
    • Coös County: (603) 788-2683
    • Northern Grafton County: (603) 444-0184
    • Lower Valley Grafton County: (603) 443-6150
  1. Bancroft House in Franconia website

    The Bancroft House provides a secure, temporary home for women, children, and families in need with compassion and respect for those we serve.

    P.O. Box 344
    Franconia, NH, 03580


If you have been locked out of your rented home recently and want to recover your belongings, please read the information in "Your Rights to Personal Property Left Behind After Eviction."


If you need help to pay a Security Deposit, call 211 and ask if there is any Security Deposit Loan Fund in your area.


If you need other financial assistance, you can apply for town or city welfare. Please read the information at Local Welfare in New Hampshire. If you have problems applying for welfare or to challenge welfare’s denial of help, call 603 Legal Aid at 603-224-3333 or 800-639-5290. Leave a message if you do not call between 9 AM and 1 PM. Be sure to say you are calling about welfare and give any deadlines you have. If you receive a denial notice from the town or city, you should preserve your appeal rights by requesting a fair hearing before the deadline, which may be as short as five days. You can always withdraw your appeal if you decide you don’t want to pursue it.


If you need help moving, check local churches and social service agencies, Catholic Charities or call the Boy Scouts’ Daniel Webster Council’s office at 625-6431 for the name of the District Executive in your area, then call that person to see if there’s a local troop that can help you.


To find out if there are other resources available in your area, call 211, or visit 211 New Hampshire.

November 2016/August 2021
Legal Advice & Referral Center

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.