New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Self-Help Guides » Housing / Foreclosure / Eviction » Homelessness Help, Housing Search and Security Deposit Resources

Homelessness Help, Housing Search and Security Deposit Resources

Printer-friendly version

If you have no place to stay tonight, you can call 2-1-1 and ask for homeless outreach or check this list of in-state and out-of-state shelters.


If you are a veteran facing homelessness, please go to the US Department of Veterans' Affairs site for Homeless Veterans, or call 603-624-4366 x6883.


Homeless school-aged children and youth have the right to remain in school. They may be entitled to free transportation as well. This is true whether or not they are living with a parent or guardian. Contact your school district and ask for the “McKinney - Vento liaison” and see the resources located at the New Hampshire Department of Educations's site for Homeless Children and Youth.


There is housing search information and possible financial assistance at the New Hampshire Housing website, or call them at 1-800-439-7247.

If you are already on a waiting list with NHH, read what you can do while you wait for help.


If you have been locked out of your rented home recently and want to recover your belongings, please read the information in "Your Rights to Personal Property Left Behind After Eviction."


If you need help to pay a Security Deposit, call 211 and ask if there is any Security Deposit Loan Fund in your area.


If you need other financial assistance, you can apply for town or city welfare.  Please read the information at Local Welfare in New Hampshire. If you have any problems with town or city welfare, you should call NH Legal Assistance directly at 223-9750 or 1-800-921-1115 then press 4. If you must leave a voicemail, be sure to tell them you are calling about town/city welfare and tell them about any deadlines you have. If you receive a denial notice from the town or city, you should preserve your appeal rights by requesting a fair hearing before the deadline, which may be as short as five days. You can always withdraw your appeal if you decide you don’t want to pursue it.


Check your town or city’s web page to see if there is any housing search assistance available. If you see a document entitled “Toolkit,” it may have useful information, so look at that. Some Town or City Welfare Officers have landlord lists and other resources available, even if you are not seeking financial help from them.


If you need help moving, check local churches and social service agencies, Catholic Charities or call the Boy Scouts’ Daniel Webster Council’s office at 625-6431 for the name of the District Executive in your area, then call that person to see if there’s a local troop that can help you.


To find out if there are other resources available in your area, call 211, or visit 211 New Hampshire.

November 2016
Legal Advice & Referral Center

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.