New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Self-Help Guides » Consumer » Consumer Protection in New Hampshire » Protection from: Unfair or Deceptive Business Practices

Protection from: Unfair or Deceptive Business Practices

Printer-friendly version

What is an "Unfair or Deceptive" business practice?

It is when a busines does not provide services or products that were promised, misrepresents its services or products, or does not provide quality services or products. It is governed by the NH law commonly known as the Consumer Protection Act (See RSA 358-A).

More specifically?

Although difficult to define, NH state law has identified some practices that are in fact unfair or deceptive:

  • claiming that a good is new when it is not, or claiming a good to be of a certain grade or standard when it is not;
  • claiming a good or service has some benefit that it does not actually provide;
  • claiming a good has an ingredient or quality it does not have or is made someplace it is not or has met some approval that it has not;
  • using "bait and switch" advertising a good on sale while not intending to provide the sale price or not having enough of the good on hand (unless stating supplies are limited in the ad);
  • making false or misleading statements about the existence of a price reduction, reason for the price reduction, or amount of the price reduction.

What to do if you have a complaint about an unfair or deceptive business practice?

First, address your complaint to the seller of the good or service. Try addressing it to the manager or president of the business.

If that doesn't work, you can file a complaint at the primary enforcement agency of the NH Consumer Protection Act, the NH Consumer Protection and Antitrust Bureau, or call, 1-888-468-4454.

You can also go to the Federal Trade Commission's site if the good or service involves interstate commerce.

May, 2015
Legal Advice & Referral Center

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.