Your legal rights concerning financial services and products.
Financial services and products include:
- Mortgage - refinancing, home equity, reverse mortgage
- Payday loan - title loans
- Student loan - private
- Vehicle loan or lease
- Credit cards or prepaid cards
- Bank account or service - "opt-in" overdraft protection
- Debt collection
- Credit reporting - incorrect information
- Money transfer & virtual currency
- other financial services
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
The CFPB supervises banks and other companies that sell financial products and services and enforces federal consumer financial laws. These companies that sell consumer financial products are regulated by many federal laws such as the Truth in Lending Act, Equal Credit Opportunity Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, and Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act.
Filing a complaint
The CFPB is the primary enforcement agency for these laws. If you think a consumer financial product you have purchased might be outside of the law you can file a complaint with the CFPB online, or call 855-411-2372.