New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Parents' Rights - A Place to Start

Parents' Rights - A Place to Start

Printer-friendly version

Parenting and the New Hampshire Courts - Going to Court Without an Attorney

About This Information

This information is for people who will not have an attorney to help in a divorce or parental rights and responsibilities case.

A person who goes to court without a lawyer is said to be pro se. There are many reasons to go to court without a lawyer, but anyone who does is taking certain risks.

Before filing a divorce or parental rights case on your own, or responding to a case filed by your spouse, we urge you to speak with a lawyer. If there is no way for you to hire a lawyer, call 603 Legal Aid at 1-800-639-5290 or apply for help online.

If you choose to use this information to help you appear pro se, you do so at your own risk. We have tried to make this information as useful as possible, but it is not a substitute for legal advice or representation. We cannot be held responsible for your use of this information.

Avoid hasty decisions! No matter how anxious you are to be done with this case, the long term effects must be carefully considered.

August 2015

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.