New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Legal Issues During COVID-19 Crisis

Legal Issues During COVID-19 Crisis

Printer-friendly version

NH LEGAL AID is OPEN during the State of Emergency.


Economic Impact Payments (Stimulus Checks)

NH Court Information

Governor’s COVID-19 Emergency Orders

Work out a "Pay & Stay" agreement with your landlord


Help with rent

Local Welfare


Behind on your mortgage?


Domestic Violence help

Report suspected Child Abuse or Neglect

COVID 19 Scam Alert

Also see New Hampshire Legal Assistance (NHLA)’s “Community Guidance” blog.


  • The IRS now has a live telephone line dedicated to answering questions about the economic stimulus payments:  (800) 919-9835
  • To check the status of your Economic Impact Payment, go to the "Get My Payment" page of the IRS website:
  • If you have questions or concerns about getting your economic stimulus payment, call the

          -Low-Income Taxpayer Project at the NH Bar Association: (603) 715-3215 or email

          -Legal Advice & Referral Center 9 AM - 1 PM on weekdays at 1(800) 639-5290 or  apply online anytime.


Q. I didn’t make enough money to file a tax return in either 2018 or 2019. How will the IRS know where to send my Economic Stimulus check?

A. If you were not required to file a tax return in 2018 and 2019 and you do not receive Social Security retirement, disability (SSDI), Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or survivor benefits, Veteran’s benefits or Railroad Retirement benefits, then you can use the "Non-Filers: Enter Payment Info Here" application found on the website at: //

If you receive SSI and did not file returns for the 2018 or 2019 tax years and you have a child dependent under age 17, you may have missed the May 5th deadline to provide information about your child dependents to the IRS.  If you missed this May 5th deadline, you must wait until 2021 and claim the dependent payment when you file your 2020 tax return.  Only your dependent payment is affected. You will still get the $1,200 payment automatically despite missing the May 5th deadline to provide information to the IRS about your dependents.


NH courts are open on a restricted basis.  Physical access to courts has been restricted to emergency cases.  See the latest information at: Judicial Branch response to COVID-19

NH courts are closed for non-emergency proceedings through July 6th or the last day of a Declared State of Emergency.  There is an exception for all 540 and 540-A proceedings filed on or after July 1st.

Individuals entering State of New Hampshire courthouses must wear face covers that cover the mouth and nose. The Judicial Branch recommends that people use their own face coverings, but will provide face coverings for people who do not have their own.  This rule does not apply to anyone for whom the wearing of a mask would be contrary to their health or safety. Read the Order.

Telephone access to the courts is fully available during this time.  For questions related to Superior Court or Circuit Court cases, please call 1-855-212-1234. For questions related to Supreme Court, please contact the clerk’s office at (603) 271-2646.


Read the Orders.


Governor Sununu issued Emergency Orders stopping non-payment evictions during the State of Emergency. Landlords are not allowed to start eviction proceedings for those unable to pay due to their financial situations. To do so would be against the law. Renters must still pay rent or work out a payment arrangement with their landlord.

On June 5, Governor Sununu extended the state of emergency for another 21 days, until June 26. 

On June 11, the Governor announced that the eviction moratorium will end as of July 1, 2020. 

Read Emergency Orders #4 , #24, and #51 (link above).

If you are being evicted because you owe rent for the period March 17 to June 11, 2020, your landlord is required to serve a 30-day eviction notice instead of the usual 7-day non-payment notice.  This gives you a longer “cure” period meaning you have more time to apply for and get help to pay. You can apply to a Community Action Agency (CAA), NH Housing Authority (NHH), or your town or city welfare office for help with past-due rent that you owe because your household lost income or incurred added expenses due to COVID-19.  Some agencies received money from the federal government for this purpose.  If you apply for help and have any difficulty with any of these programs, call LARC at 224-3333 or 1-800-639-5290 between 9 AM and 1 PM weekdays, or apply online anytime. 

In NH, a tenant can stop  (or “cure”) a non-payment eviction if the tenant pays the full amount of the past-due rent plus a $15 fee by the expiration date on the eviction notice, as long as the tenant has not already cured 3 non-payment evictions in the past 12 months.

If you are renting from an owner who has a federally-backed mortgage, the CARES Act provides for a suspension or moratorium on evictions. If your landlord has a federally backed mortgage or multi-family mortgage, you cannot be evicted for 120 days beginning on March 27, 2020, the effective date of the CARES Act. After the 120-day period is up, the landlord must start any eviction action against you with a 30-day notice, even if it is for non-payment or some other reason which might ordinarily allow a 7-day eviction notice.

Read more about your protections as a tenant whose landlord has a federally backed mortgage.  Go to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) website here.

If the property you rent isn’t covered by the CARES Act, many states have suspended all evictions and foreclosures due to the pandemic.

If you get an Eviction Notice during the State of Emergency, or anytime, call LARC 800-639-5290 or apply online.


Local Community Action Programs (CAP) will be in charge of distributing money to people in need of rental assistance around the state.

If you are behind on rent:

  • Apply for rental assistance at a Town or City welfare office.  If you have problems applying for welfare or to challenge welfare’s denial of rental assistance, call New Hampshire Legal Assistance at 1-800-921-1115, ext 4.
  • Apply for rental assistance at your nearest Community Action Partnerships (CAP). Call NH Helpline at 2-1-1 for the phone number of your nearest CAP.  Call CAP or go to where you will see an “apply now” button with an online application. 
  • For additional assistance, contact the DHHS Bureau of Housing Supports at 63-271-9196, or email

If you are facing eviction, call LARC at 800-639-5290 or apply online


Governor Sununu issued Emergency Orders #4 and #24 stopping foreclosures. All judicial and non-judicial foreclosure actions are prohibited during the state of emergency.

In Executive Order #51, the Governor announced that the foreclosure moratorium ends as of July 1, 2020. 

Read Emergency Orders #4, #24 and #51 (link above).

If you are facing foreclosure, call LARC’s Foreclosure Relief Project at 877-399-9995 or apply online.


Watch the video about the CARES Act mortgage forbearance.

Learn about mortgage relief options.

Call 211 to find a HUD-approved Housing Counselor (just dial 2-1-1). Multilingual assistance and TDD access is also available. For those outside of New Hampshire, call 1-866-444-4211.  or go to the 211 website here.

If you are behind on mortgage payments due to COVID-19 and need help, apply at  If you are facing financial challenges due to COVID-19, contact your local Community Action Partnership (CAP) agency or call 2-1-1 from any NH phone. New Hampshire Housing Relief applications are available through your local CAP agencies.


On July 15, 2020, Emergency Order #3 will end.  This order stopped the shut-off of utilities during the state of emergency.  A new Emergency Order, #58, requires that the utilities set up a 6-month payment plan for customers to deal with payments they owe. 

Read Emergency Orders #3 and #58 (link above).

If your utilities have been shut off or you have related problems, call the Attorney General’s Consumer Protection Division at 603-271-3641 or email

If you are behind on utility bills due to COVID-19 and need help, apply at  If you are facing financial challenges due to COVID-19, contact your local Community Action Partnership (CAP) agency or call 2-1-1 from any NH phone. New Hampshire Housing Relief applications are available through your local CAP agencies.


Governor Sununu issued Emergency Orders expanding Unemployment. Individuals who are unable to work or who have reduced hours due to the COVID-19 pandemic will have immediate access to unemployment benefits.

Read Emergency Order #5 (link above).

  • NH Employment Security main website: //
  • To file an initial claim, to file a weekly continued claim or to check the status of an existing claim, visit //
  • Call 603-271-7700 Hotline open 8 AM to 8 PM Monday through Friday and 9 AM to 5 PM on Saturday and Sunday.

This information may have been updated. Call the Hotline number above for the latest information.


Governor Sununu issued Emergency Order #23 that allows Local Welfare offices to transition to operating on-line, phone, or limited appointment -only operation, but Local Welfare must continue to do its job.

Read Emergency Order #23 (link above).

If you have any problems with Local Welfare, call NH Legal Assistance at 603-223-9750 or 1-800-921-1115 and press 4. If you must leave a message, be sure to say you are calling about Local Welfare and state any deadlines you have.


Domestic Violence:  1-866-644-3574

Sexual Assault:  1-800-277-5570

NH Coalition Agsint Domestic & Sexual Violence:


NH Law requires any person who suspects that a child under age 18 has been abused or neglected must report that suspicion immediately to Division for Children, Youth and Families (DCYF). (New Hampshire RSA 169-C:29-31)

If a child tells you that he or she has been hurt or you are concerned that a child may be the victim of any type of abuse or neglect, you must call the DCYF Central Intake Unit at:
Telephone: (800) 894-5533 (in-state) or (603) 271-6562 (out of state)
24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.
For immediate emergencies, please call 911.
Proof of abuse and neglect is not required to make a report.
Reports of abuse and neglect concerns are confidential and can be anonymous.

Learn more about stopping child abuse and neglect here.

May 2020, updated July 2020

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.