New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » How to Get Protective Orders

How to Get Protective Orders

Printer-friendly version

Ask the court clerk for a Domestic Violence Petition. Simply write down, as clearly and with as much detail as possible:

  • what happened to you.
  • the date, time, and location where it happened.
  • the important facts about the abuse.
  • additional facts of any other past or present abuse by this person.

If you need extra paper to write on, ask the clerk. You will have to swear under oath that what you have written is true.


If English is your second language or you don’t speak any English, you have a right to request an interpreter to assist you with the police and in any court proceedings. Make sure to let the police and/or the court know that you need an interpreter to help you.

March 16, 2017

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.