New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Get Help

Get Help

Printer-friendly version

New Hampshire Legal Aid gives free legal services to people who qualify. If you do not qualify, you may be able to get a lawyer for a reduced-fee or a lawyer who can help you with parts of your case.

To qualify for legal aid, you need to

  • have a low income,
  • have few assets,
  • have civil legal problems with housing, family law, criminal annulment, and public benefits in New Hampshire, and
  • pass a conflict-of-interest check.

Apply for Help

Apply for NH Legal Aid through 603 Legal Aid. 603 Legal Aid screens applicants, provides advice over the telephone, makes referrals to private attorney volunteers, and makes referrals to other programs.

Apply by phone or online.


Apply online

-Apply any time of day or night

-No waiting on hold

-Your phone interview will be shorter when someone calls you back

-You must apply online for help with criminal annulment. 

-Online applications are best for problems with property taxes, consumer issues, and youth law (education).

apply online button


Apply by Phone

-If you are not sure you have a legal problem we can help you figure that out before you do a full application

-Find out right away if you qualify

-Apply by phone for faster service


Monday through Friday 9 AM - 1 PM

We close on holidays.

1-800-639-5290 or 603-224-3333

603 Legal Aid only responds to phone messages about foreclosure, from hearing impaired people calling via Relay or TTY, and to requests for brochures. If you leave a message in Spanish, we will call you back.

  • We may set up a phone appointment to give you free legal advice over the phone. Our lawyers and advocates prepare you to represent yourself. We do not go to court with you.
  • We may refer your case to a private attorney volunteer.
  • We may send your case to another legal aid or volunteer attorney program that handles your type of case. That program will call you back.
  • We keep your information confidential even if you do not qualify for our services.

To return our call, you can only reach us at 800-639-5290 or 603-224-3333.

Not sure we can help?

If you are not sure you have a legal issue, apply and we will figure it out.

If you are not sure you will qualify for help, apply and we will figure it out.

Quick questions

If you have a quick question and you do not want to apply for legal services,

  • call Lawline between 6 PM and 8 PM the second Wednesday of every month 1-800-868-1212.  Volunteer lawyers give the public free legal information over the phone.
  • go to NH Free Legal Answers to post your legal question and receive free legal advice from volunteer lawyers on the website through confidential email.  NH FREE Legal Answers is a service for low-income New Hampshire residents who need legal  information or advice about non-criminal legal problems.

Applying for someone else

Most of the time, the person with the legal issue must complete the application or phone us. Usually we cannot give legal advice to someone who is applying for someone else.


Prisoners may apply and will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

If you do not qualify for legal aid

Depending on your income, you may be able to get a lawyer to help with all or part of your case, and you can get legal information over the phone that is free to everyone.

60 or over

If you are 60 or older, you may be able to get free legal help from the Justice in Aging Project of New Hampshire Legal Assistance. Call 1-888-353-9944 for help.

Find a lawyer

If you are sure you do not qualify for free legal aid, or if you want to sue someone, contact the New Hampshire Bar Association. Depending on your income:

If you can afford to pay a lawyer call the Lawyer Referral Service at 603-229-0002.

If you have a low income but make too much to qualify for free legal services, try the Modest Means Legal Program at 603-715-3290. If you qualify, you will pay for services at a lower cost.

Unbundled services

One way to save money is to hire a lawyer to handle part of your case. This is called “unbundled services” or “limited representation.” Sometimes, you can do most of the work yourself and hire a lawyer to help you with things you cannot do. Such services may include drafting a motion, reviewing an agreement or attending one specific hearing, rather than handling your whole case.

Find lawyers who do unbundled services by contacting the Lawyer Referral Service (603-229-0002) or the clerk’s office at the court (1-855-212-1234).

Free legal information by phone

Anyone can get free legal information over the phone. Call Lawline at 1-800-868-1212 between 6 PM and 8 PM the second Wednesday of every month to speak to a volunteer lawyer.

Other places to get help

If your problem is not in New Hampshire, find a program to help you.

Self Help Guides

Read our self-help guides for information on a range of topics.

Check the court’s self-help website.


Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.