New Hampshire Legal Aid

Legal Information, Referrals, and Pro Se Assistance
Home » Behind on your mortgage due to the COVID-19 pandemic?

Behind on your mortgage due to the COVID-19 pandemic?

Printer-friendly version

Watch the video about the CARES Act mortgage forbearance. A forbearance allows you to pause or reduce mortgage payments for a period of time.

If you are behind on mortgage payments due to COVID-19 and need financial help, apply at  New Hampshire Housing Relief applications are available through your local CAP agencies--call to ask for a paper application or apply online. Contact your local Community Action Partnership (CAP) agency or call 2-1-1 from any NH phone.

Learn about mortgage relief options.

Read about FHFA extends the moratorium on foreclosures here.

Call 211 to find a free HUD-approved Housing Counselor (just dial 2-1-1) to explore your options. Multilingual assistance and TDD access is also available. For those outside of New Hampshire, call 1-866-444-4211, or go to the 211 website here.

Apply for help from your Town or City Welfare Office. Read more about Local Welfare.  Governor Sununu's Emergency Order #23 allows Local Welfare offices to transition to operating on-line, phone, or limited appointment -only operation, but Local Welfare must continue to do its job.  If you have any problems with Local Welfare, call NH Legal Assistance at 603-223-9750 or 1-800-921-1115 and press 4. If you must leave a message, be sure to say you are calling about Local Welfare and state any deadlines you have.

Read the pamphlet "What to do if you can't pay your mortgage"




May 2020/revised August 2020

Did you find what you need?

Please help us help you. Take our quick survey.