Learn to Protect Yourself from Tax Scams and Fraud
Check this list of the Latest Tax Scams and Frauds Reported in NH.
IRS tips to protect against Phishing and Malware
Phishing is a tactic used by identity thieves to get you to give them your personal information. Whether it be your bank account number, username and passwords, or social security number, identity thieves can use this information to empty your bank account, open a credit card in your name or steal your tax refund. Learn more about phishing tactics and how to avoid identity theft below.
Beware of Tax Refund Scams and Cons
People perpetrating tax refund scams and frauds can be aggressive, intimidating and demanding. If successful they can steal your tax refund and cause you many headaches for years to come. Learn how to identify these tax scams and protect yourself, your social security number and your money.
Is this call really from the IRS, or is it a scam?
5 things the real IRS will never do:
- Call you about taxes owed without first mailing you a paper bill,
- Demand you pay back taxes before giving you opportunity to appeal the amount,
- Require a specific payment method, such as a prepaid debit card,
- Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone,
- The IRS will never threaten to have you arrested.
The "IRS Imposter" scam revealed as largest scam in the U.S. in congressional hearings - read more
Are you a victim of identity theft?
If you suspect you are a victim of identity theft, perhaps someone else has your social security number, watch this video to learn what to do next.